Search This Blog

Friday, November 24, 2006

1908: Still "Boiling the Pot in 2006

How well I remember taking one of those Christmas shopping trips "uptown" with Mom Glover when I was a boy. Center city Trenton was the mecca for shoppers all over Mercer County. During the Christmas rush, Trenton Transit buses were lined up end on end bringing people to and from a thriving metropolis. The Christmas seasons I remember of downtown Trenton still lives in my memory as I recall Christmas carols echoing through the State and Broad area, the aroma of coffee, hot dogs, hamburgers, bakery delights, and the exhaust from those buses formed an unforgettable aromatic experience. Many viewers of this post will remember Santa standing by that big black kettle, and dropping a few coins for the less fortunate among us. We were indeed a kinder and gentler nation back then.

No comments: